Midwives provide advice, care and support for women and their babies during pregnancy, labour and the early postnatal period. They help women make decisions about the care and services they need.
Our Midwife will:
- Monitor and examine women during pregnancy
- Provide full antenatal care, including screening tests at the surgery and booking hospital scans
- Identify high risk pregnancies and make referrals to obstetricians and other medical specialists
- Arrange and provide parenting and health education
- Provide counselling and advice before and after screening and tests
- Offer support and advice following events such as miscarriage, termination, stillbirth, neonatal abnormality and neonatal death
- Support and advise on the daily care of the baby, including breastfeeding, bathing and making up feeds
- Liaise with other agencies and health and social care professionals to ensure continuity of care
Your first appointment with the Midwife should ideally be at 8 weeks of pregnancy.
The Pregnancy Referral Service at Northampton General Hospital
You can now self refer to The Pregnancy Referral Service at Northampton General Hospital following the link – Maternity Referral – Welcome (ngh.nhs.uk).
01604 545 430 – Monday – Friday – 8:30 – 16:00