Midwives provide advice, care and support for women and their babies during pregnancy, labour and the early postnatal period. They help women make decisions about the care and services they need.
Our Midwife will:
- Monitor and examine women during pregnancy
- Provide full antenatal care, including screening tests at the surgery and booking hospital scans
- Identify high risk pregnancies and make referrals to obstetricians and other medical specialists
- Arrange and provide parenting and health education
- Provide counselling and advice before and after screening and tests
- Offer support and advice following events such as miscarriage, termination, stillbirth, neonatal abnormality and neonatal death
- Support and advise on the daily care of the baby, including breastfeeding, bathing and making up feeds
- Liaise with other agencies and health and social care professionals to ensure continuity of care
Kristie Handley and Lacey Scully are our Midwives and they holds clinics at Towcester Medical Centre on Wednesdays and also Thursday mornings.
Your first appointment with the Midwife should ideally be at 8 weeks of pregnancy. To book your first Midwife appointment you need to call Towcester Medical Centre. Please ensure you give the date of your Last Menstrual Period (LMP), if this is known, to the person booking your appointment and also confirm your intended place of birth.
Initial appointments are approximately an hour long. Subsequent appointments are approximately twenty minutes long and are booked directly with the Midwife at the end of each appointment.
To contact midwife – please call Towcester Medical Centre reception in the first instance and for your first appointment – or use the contact number provided by your midwife.
An emergency midwifery service is available to women after twenty weeks of pregnancy at the Maternity Unit in Northampton General Hospital: 07887 566 489